September 19th, 2004 at 11:01pm
For the past couple of months, blogs have become the “hot” stuff on the net!…. Was seeing different types of blogging systems available.
Offcourse, there is www.blogger.com the one that I use. Very simple to use., and good for beginners.
Since I had explored most of the blogger.com features, my attention shifted to other blogging systems. The most powerful and prominent one is the Movable type!…. (note the spelling!).
Its more like an application. Its basically a content management system written in Perl script. The entire stuff itself is around 2 MB+ download. It can run on any webserver which can execute Perl Scripts, and has some basic support for database. I decided to try it out!…….
Downloaded the entire package. Licensing is free for personal use! .. so no cracking/ hacking required !!….. Installed it on my office comp. (I had IIS 6 on my comp + Perl). Installation was pretty simple. just unzip the zip file.. and create some virtual directories.
Then there was a procedure to initialize the system. That is where I ran into problem. One of the Perl libraries (DB_File) was not present on my system. Its not installed by default by the Perl installation. So, I had to download the file (PPD) and install it using the PPM (Perl package manager)……… The problem was,… PPM was trying to connect to some website (repository) and it could not.. since I was behind the proxy of my company!…..so. … did some googling and found that I had to set up some env. Variables for DOS!…. (http_proxy, some username and password env variables..too)………………….
But that still did not solve the problem, did more research on google, and found that there was a program called ppm2 which is also there by default…….used it, and it work fine!……..
Started movabletype system., and created a test blog……………
My comments on movable type :
- Pretty decent one -You have full control of the blog
- Not many templates available on the net as of now! (if someone knows please let me know!) – May be the idea is to let the author of the blog comeout with his template as per his/her requirement!
- Pretty fast. – Depends on how fast your server is!.
- requires lot of space on the server. 2 MB just for the application itself!!
- You can import all your blogs from blogger.com to movable type…not a problem
- The instruction/help is very good.
- May be some day, when I host my website on a good decent server, I will switch over to movabletype. So, for now, its blogger.com
- Not a good option for newbies….blogger.com is still easy to use, virtually no setup!
Entry Filed under: Net
No Comments yet
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.